Saturday, December 2, 2023

A bit of a damper

I awoke this morning to darkness and rain and according to the weather report, it's going to be all day. Over the past week, I have been having a rainy day of the mind. This happens now and then and it happens to everyone who is in the process of stretching the mind. I got up one day and for the life of me when I was doing my CW practising I was lost when it came to hearing the letters S and H. Which was which....I never had this issue for ever and now I am getting very frustrated as when I hear either of those letters I am at a loss which one it is!! At my speed of 34-36wpm if you have to stop and think you lose everything. With my practice simulator, I would replay a call sign over and over and it was only a guess when I committed to either H or S. This also made the CQ WW CW contest at times very frustrating and at times embarrassing for me. 

This has happened in the past and it's nothing new to those who are into Morse code. The word on the street is keep at it and the mind is an amazing thing and it will come around. I am happy to say that as of today for some reason I am back in the zone. I can't explain it but now when I either hear S or H I know exactly which letter it is. Below is one of my practice sessions and the proof is in the picture.


 

4 comments:

MadDogMcQ said...

Wow, hard to believe that such accomplished operators can still have issues. Mind you, at that speed I think you’re all super-human to be able to differentiate between S and H, lol.

Glad you got it back!

73, Tom, M7MCQ
www.m7mcq.com

VE9KK said...

Good morning Tom, I am not so sure about "accomplished" but yes I imagine at what ever the speed it there is always bumps in the road. As your speed picks up so does the brain and how it handles code. It sounds funny but even at 36wpm there is a difference between letters that are only one dit apart.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, I can imagine you struggle with these letters at that speed. I think most operators do. The difference is only 1 dit, at that speeds only a millisecond difference, it's amazing our brains can process the difference. I struggle with the same even on lower speeds. The difference between the S and H, V and 4, 1 and J and some more. Sometimes I have days I recognise them instanty and other days I do not. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, yes the brain is amazing and we don't give it as much credit as it is due. With regards to only one dit difference this is when the sound you hear is very important.
73,
Mike
VE9KK