Saturday, January 7, 2023

Bonehead move on my part

 

With SPLIT on and not just DUAL

This afternoon I spent some time on the radio and I noticed on the DX Heat Cluster the DXpedition TK8N was being spotted in the CW portion of 15m. So over I went and there was a large pileup I thought it would be interesting to polish my skill in finding out how they were working the pileup.


 I set my Icom to dual receive which allows me to hear VFO A (the DXpedition station) in my left ear. In my right ear, it's VFO B ( the pileup). I wanted to see if I could figure out how he was working the pileup. Was TN8K moving up or down the band as he made contacts and was he moving in large or small increments? 


In time I figured out what TN8K was up to and I found myself on a segment of the band to which I was sure he was listening so I threw my call out and on the second time a very loud "VE9KK UP UP!!. I thought WHAT and I realized I was still in dual receive which is fine BUT I did not put my radio in SPLIT!!! 


I was transmitting my call right over the top of TN8K on his transmit frequency!! What a bonehead move.

4 comments:

John AE5X said...

Been there, done that (more than once).....take all the time to carefully find the DX station's rx freq and then we forget to enable split! That boneheaded move has a very large membership!

73,
John

VE9KK said...

Good morning John, once I heard my call and up up I could have gone under the desk to hide. One thing it may had done is give me more understanding when I hear a station calling on top of the DX station.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Oh yes I had that many times. Stupid me. And also the other way around. Forgetting to switch split off and miss the next DX ;-). Really, it would be really stupid when you ignored the UP UP request. I've heard many stations that just ignore it and think they own the frequency just calling on the DX station's frequency. Luckely you regognized your fault immidiatly.....but did you work TN8K after all? 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, I am finding out that I am not the only one who has qualifies for the Up Up award. In the end I never did make contact with TN8K but I will keep trying.
Have a good week Bas and very nice to hear from you.
73,
Mike
VE9KK