Wednesday, January 18, 2023

The 1:1 isolation choke do-over.

 

New 1:1 choke with RG316 coax

 I have the Hustler 4BTV vertical antenna and have a 1:1 choke at the base of the antenna made by Balun designs. Some time ago I made a second choke that was placed at the radio end and posted the build here on the blog. I had a few comments regarding the coax that I used (RG8X) and that there could be an issue with the bending radius of the coax around the core. I was informed that over time the centre conductor could migrate toward the braid.

I also did some internet searching and found that the bending radius could pose an issue and I know the "issue" if and when it happened would do so at the most inopportune time. I decided to make another 1:1 choke from a thinner coax. I did have some RG316 coax from a mobile antenna mount I was not using and it would be ideal for the tight turning radius.

 On one end of the coax, there was a mini-UHF to PL-259 adapter which meant I only had to add one PL-259 connector. I will be using again an FT240-31 core with 10 turns. I decided on 10 turns as this will afford me decent characteristics on the HF bands. Using the RG316 coax the bending radius is no longer an issue. 


 

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Nice Mike, never seen that small coax. I prefer to use teflon coax. RG142 or RG178. But at short lengths and low power it probabely makes no difference. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas very nice to hear from you, the RG316 was what I had in the shack. It was on a Diamond HF trunk mount and had been sitting doing lots of nothing for some time. It was time to put it to use and as a matter of fact I was very pleased with how it worked out.
73,
Mike
VE9KK