Wednesday, February 21, 2024

ARRL International DX CW contest.

 


Overall the weekend had great solar conditions and huge participation worldwide. At times it was very hard to find a clear section of the band to call "CQ Contest". Some may find that frustrating but in the big picture that is a very good thing. I had some memorable contacts in Japan, Australia, St Helena Island, FK8IK on New Caledonia Island and last but not least PE4BAS fellow blogger was logged on 15m. In this contest, I ran (calling CQ contest) for about 98% of the time at about 32-24 wpm. I did have an "I can't believe I did that" moment. On Saturday just before I stopped to have dinner I wanted to try a different macro. I turned the power down to zero and tried it a few times to make sure it would work. I then went for dinner and came back to go on 40m. Now 40m openings for me most of the time do not last very long. I got right back on and started calling CQ and calling and calling. I noticed on the RBN I had no spots which was a bit odd as most of the time I can something into the U.S. Then it hit me the power was still at zero! Well, that was about 20 minutes of lost time. 



All the bands (for me 10-40m) were in great shape and very busy. On Sunday evening around 6:30 local time, things started to go downhill for me. My ability to concentrate was just not there as I heard a call sign and only one or two letters registered with me. The best way to describe it was brain fog, it is not unusual for me toward the end of a long contest to get this. I was even having issues with keyboarding. I would type Zero when the call was 9, the call 9A2Y I had 0A2Y also when typing I would hit two keys at once. I then would be transmitting oddball calls. At that point, I would try to fix the call on the fly and most of the time that is a challenge and at this point in the game, it just made things a nightmare. I decided to pull the plug early as my frustration level would take the fun out of things.

The final tally

 

4 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, tnx for the QSO. I already noticed on RBN you were hopping from one frequency to the other. It was very busy on the bands. It was hard to find you for shure. But that makes it fun. You did a great job with over 1K contacts. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas and yes I was jumping from band to band. I found some bands just to busy and hard to find a spot to call CQ contest. All in all I had a great time.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

MadDogMcQ said...

Hey Mike, just to say I read your article in the latest COMMUNICATOR newsletter. Wow, that’s a fabulous publication! I’ve been to their archive and downloaded a few to my Kindle.

Hope you’re well.

73, Tom, M7MCQ.

VE9KK said...

Good morning Tom yes that is a very nice publication and if you go to their website you can see all the back issues. I very much enjoy reading the issues.
73,
Mike
VE9KK