Sunday, January 7, 2024

Reverse Beacon Network strange event

During the 2023 Canada Winter contest I had an odd thing happen twice with the Reverse Beacon Network website. But before I go into that let's talk about what I use the Reverse Beacon Network for in contests. This site has a huge amount of stations that just listen for stations calling CQ. If you are heard then you are shown on a world map along with your signal strength to that location. This is a great tool during a contest for me as it shows where and how strong my signal is. I have used this site for years but in the last contest, something happened that never has and it happened twice.




I was calling for some time on 40m CQ contest and I was getting Reverse Beacon Network feedback from my signal. The reporting station MM0ZBH reported me but on 20m? Informing me my signal was 6dB and on 14036 and not 7.030 where I was calling CQ contest this was at 2337UTC.

 Earlier at 2212UTC the same station had reported me again on 20m this time at 14030 when I was calling CQ on 7030 and my signal strength this time was 28dB. This was odd and even more so when it happened twice in the contest. Any ideas out there and has anyone had the same issue happen to them?

MM0ZBH is the 6th station down on the list


4 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

It is how I always find you Mike ;-). I don't know exacly how RBN is reported but I think it's automatic. Probably MM0ZBH his CAT system malfuntioned. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, yes I agree that something was up at his end. Yesterday I was operating in the 1 hour 25wpm cw contest on 40m and no issues at all. I was even spotted by the same station in Scotland with out issue.
See you in the next CW contest,
Mike
73
VE9KK

MadDogMcQ said...

I’ve never come across that Mike. Very odd. Might be worth pinging an email to the Scottish station to make him aware.

Best regards, Tom.

VE9KK said...

Good morning Tom, yes that is a very good idea and I never had thought about doing that. I had noticed when I was taking part on Monday in the 25 wpm 1 hour contest I was on 40m and the same station spotted me without issue.
73,
Mike
VE9KK