Thursday, April 6, 2023

Bacon and Eggs...not radio but very interesting.


 

 My dad passed while I was at a very young age but through my mom, I learned that he was a Lancaster bomber pilot in England during WW2. I remember asking her questions but she did not know much as he spoke of his time in the war very little. 

What I did know was he was a commercial pilot in Ireland and then joined the Air Force during the war. At the time he was asked to train as a tail gunner as at the time there were too many pilots and not enough Lancaster aircraft. He completed his training but never sat in the tail gunner turret as he was called up as a pilot. That's all I know of his military time but I have always had an interest in that part of his life. When I lived in Ontario just outside Toronto is the home of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. They have one of the very few flying Lancaster bomber aircraft. In the book the sound of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engines of the Lancaster were often mentioned. I can somewhat understand this, when the museums Lancaster was out flying as it did often you could hear the rich sound of the 4 engines.


This brings me to the book I just finished reading called Bacon and Eggs the story of a Lancaster bomber crew. It is a fictional story based on real crew and actual events. This book goes over the events of the formation, training and missions of one Lancaster crew. It's a short read and is available on Amazon as a book and ebook. If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited then it is a free read. In closing, after reading the book I look at sitting down to a meal of bacon and eggs in a different light now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always remember your dad. When I was USAF, spent time in Australia and New Zealand with USAF aircraft on several air bases. Lancesters were represented from RAAF and RNZAF. The best and most beautiful bomber of WW2.

73 de Dick F8WBD

VE9KK said...

Good afternoon Dick and very nice to hear from you I hope you are doing well in France? When I was back in Toronto I felt privileged to see and hear the restored Lancaster that would be flying during the summer a few times a week.
Have a great weekend Dick,
73
Mike
VE9KK

John AE5X said...

Hello Mike,

I wonder if records/archives exist which would allow you to learn more about your father's service? It might make for a fulfilling genealogical project.

73,
John

VE9KK said...

Good morning John, interesting you should ask as good friends of ours his wife does this as a hobby. A few years ago she found out both my parents were born in Ireland and she approached me about getting my UK citizenship. The information she needed from me was regarding my dad. I had no idea and with very little information from me she found out his birth place, his parents, siblings along with lots else. She was able to get official records that allowed me to get my UK citizenship. I was amazed at what she found out.
She did ask me about wanting to find out about his military past and we have yet to sit down and look further into it.
73,
Mike
VE9KK

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, it is special that my father was in a Japanese POW camp in Indonesia for 3.5 years. However, he hardly ever spoke about this period, despite my asking about it. He was employed by the Dutch Royal Navy there. 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good morning Paul, my mom had told me the same regarding my dad, he never really spoke of the war. I can understand for our parents who were involved in the war why they would not mention it often.
73,
Mike
VE9KK