Saturday, July 2, 2022

Moving along with the Hustler 4BTV install.


Now I realize in my last post regarding the new Hustler 4BTV installation I said my next step was to dig the coax trench from the house to the base of the antenna BUT rainy days have taken over here. Oh for those of you who read this blog on amateurradio.com site click this link to read the first instalment regarding the new antenna. I have changed my blog address and my last post to the amateurradio.com site did not fully make it.

Now where was I....today I decided to start cutting radial wires. I purchased 150m (500 feet) of 14 gauge stranded green wire and the radial production line began. I am using ring terminals for 1/4-20 bolts and I choose to purchase 10 gauge terminals as I can solder 2 14 gauge radial wires to them. My property is small and I have certain areas where the radials can be 25 feet and other spots only 4 feet. I am putting out as many as 500 feet will allow me and if I need more then I will purchase another roll of wire.......but that stuff is not cheap!! 

I have been doing some reading on the internet regarding the radial length. The consensus seems to be if your vertical is ground-mounted (mine is) and the radials are just below the ground (mine will be) then length theory  is..make them as long as you can but being in the ground and not raised radials certain lengths are not important.

2 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hello Mike, wow, your site looks great. I have changed the URL in my blog list. Have a nice weekend, 73 Paul

VE9KK said...

Good morning Paul very nice to hear from you, the site is coming along but with the rain one day after the other it's slow going.
73,
Mike
VE9KK