Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Hustler 4BTV continued.

The days finished product

 Once again we had a nice weather friendly antenna installation day on Monday. It was time to run the coax out to the vertical antenna mounting pole. I chose to run RG8X coax, the main reason for this was I had lots of it on hand. From the house to the the vertical I dug a trench about 16 inches deep and I was fortunate the ground was nice and soft and tree root free. 


The RG8X coax was placed in 3/4 inch PVC electrical pipe and at each end for the PVC pipe I affixed ENT tubing. This is very hardy plastic tubing that usually is encased in concrete and used to pass electrical wires in. Now you may wonder why I did not just use ENT for the complete job? The main reason is I had PVC pipe on hand and ENT here is either sold in 10 or 30 foot rolls. If I chose 30 feet I would have a majority of it leftover and ENT is pricey as well. 

I now attached the base section of the Hustler 4BTV to the ground pipe but before doing so I ordered from DX Engineering the SO-239 add on kit. This is a fantastic kit made of stainless steel and allows a PL-239 connection and it can be mounted in 3 different directions. Also for all the connections I picked up some pure copper anti seize compound. This allows great connectivity and also very good for all stainless steel connections. 


As an added precaution I wrapped the screw located on the bottom of the 4BTV antenna with self amalgamating splicing tape. I also wrapped the PL-239 connection with the same tape. I find water has a way of getting in at the most inconvenient times so I like to make it very difficult for this to happen. 

My next step is to install the radials and tomorrow the weather man is telling me it's a great weather day to put down some radials.






No comments: